Monday 27 February 2012

Getting settled in


Written at 18 East Street - Room 8, Newton, Auckland

After three and half weeks, I’ve got my visa application in. Until the student visa displaces the working holiday visa I’m on now, I can’t start my PhD. While I’m waiting I’ve been doing work for one of the other members of the group… there must be some up-side to reading data off of a spectrometer as particles of carbon drop out of solution – I challenge anyone to follow Rule 34 up with “UV-Vis spectrometer” – but at the moment I haven’t found it. Granted, the results should lead to something interesting but this is my first view of what work is like divorced from the analysis: sample, dilute, analyse… deliver data.

Last Thursday I moved out of my room in the hostel. Goodbye Mel, Clem, Chloe, Launa and Nick! And Louise and Josh and plenty of others. Speaking of Josh: on one of my last evenings at the hostel, leaning against the handrail outside the front door, Josh – a guy about my age, curly hair, a Kent accent – asked me what my last name was. Out of the blue, I was a little surprised, and when I told him there followed a few moments of talking about ‘March’ and ‘Marchant’ it emerged that I knew Josh when I was in Sunday School. His parents knew, and maybe still know, my parents and we grew up together. Being 23, having travelled across 12 countries, the odds are probably for something like this… still, it’s pretty cool that in the two weeks I’m staying at a hostel of no particular significance, in a country that’s 18,327* kilometres from my place of birth that I bump into someone I knew when I had a horrific bowl-haircut and was always getting concussions.


My new home, a single room in a shared house, is quite comfortable (if a bit small). The bed has a couple of built in units – a chest of drawers and a set of shelves – and a desk attachment. It wasn’t until I started pulling away the bed to stuff my cases behind it that I realised that the desk actually rotates out from the bed, and the hanging set of shelves on the underside of the bed folds into the vacancy between the two units. Vwala! If anyone wants to come and stay, all I need to do is clean up the whole floor, the whole of the desk and then slide the desk into the bed frame… the floor space would accommodate one friend or two very close ones.

While work occupies enough of my time not to make life boring, there have been quite a few gaps in my social life…

The one lesson so far of swing dancing went rather well. Firstly, it was free – a great opening move to seduce a stingy student – and secondly, the other classmates were good partners, all except for one woman who, no blame to her, was way too short for me; I felt like I was dancing with a child and my shoulder dipped uncomfortably. The Charleston, the style of swing dance for this lesson, has a two-bar pattern with lots of standing-leg taps and flicks and counts on mid-air movements: the ‘swing’ really is the thing, I had to relax and go with it before it felt natural.

Running will always be my go-to when I’m in need of a fresh breath to clear my head. Auckland has hills that murder calves and puts another arrow in the heel of Achilles; taking a stroll has rapidly turned into a game of strategy, whereby one attempt to maximise the distance without contesting the elevation. When it comes to running, I’ve come up with a wholly different exercise:
I, Nathan March, vow to traverse every street in a 2 mile radius of Auckland CBD before the end of my first year. There’s a map up on my wall and a faithful pink highlighter that will bear witness to my journey.

Thirdly, I tried MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). To say the least, it was an experience: range martial arts like karate and Tang Soo Do are to MMA what Formula1 is to Nascar; they’re both fast, they’re both close-up, but the shine in MMA only lasts as long as the starting line. The very first move we were taught was a double leg takedown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVi2pzMgt6U); within a minute of starting the class, I was throwing a guy who has 15 kg on me to the floor (and he me likewise). Ordered to grapple on the ground and maintain submission positions, like I was 8 and fighting my brothers all over again, my muscles were wrenched, squeezed and stretched like they haven’t been since Joseph would pick me up and throw me onto the sofa. 4 nights later? I’m still having trouble coughing, the tug on my stomach is pretty deterring.

Guess which one am I going back to? For two nights a week, before long three, I’ll be going along to Maai Hyoshi Dojo for a mixture of Muay Thai, boxing and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ). If I’m all healed by tomorrow evening I’ll have my second session.

What makes Brazilian Jiu-jitsu so attractive as a martial art to me is the constant validation it enjoys in the UFC – I could offer a decent breakdown, but most everything I know comes from a blog post from Sam Harris (http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-pleasures-of-drowning), my original inspiration for finding a club. Simply put, if you don’t know BJJ or some similar grappling art you’re doomed in the UFC. I don’t plan to put any of this to the test, but I can understand Harris’s comments about the ‘delusions of martial prowess’ prevalent in formalised martial arts – Tang Soo Do may have taught me how to dismount a horseman, but even I have to admit that I’ve already experienced probably the most threatening behaviour from a mount that I’ll ever experience: this past summer the stallion ridden by one of my kids from camp opted to urinate, splashing my boots, while I stood beside.

In summary: I’m going to start work in a few weeks, I’ve found new and invigorating ways to get hurt and I’ve found a place to live that gives me slightly more room to fill than a sardine that’s kicked all the other sardines out of the can and hammered out the walls a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment